Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Royal & Pontifical Catholic University of Santo Tomas Quadricentennial Celebration

Last Jan 27 was a once in a lifetime experience I would never forget. Edz, Vida, Girlie and I along with Girlie's friends witnessed the countdown to Quadricentennial. Imagine we are alumna's of a University full of history and trials. The word Quadricentennial isn't even acknowledged by spell check, it means it's not used very often hehe ;) 

I started the day browsing stuff being sold at the bazaar. My goal was to buy a jacket for me & shirts for Edz & EJ. When I arrived at the booth of the perfect white shirt, the shirt Edz & EJ wanted (which was incidentally the same as the shirt I was wearing) is completely sold out. I texted Edz the bad news. I was off to search for my jacket. I reached the booth where they sold official Quadri merchandise, got hold of a jacket, the size... Large! I tried it on, it was like a nightgown on me. I asked if there were still other sizes, they told me there weren't any. I was about to be discouraged when a lady behind me shouted to the person manning the stocks, asking for available sizes, she replied with "3x & medium". I immediately got her attention & acquired a medium jacket for me ;) It was still big but I'll manage. After weaving my way out of the very crowded booth, Girlie called. It turns out that we were in the same place. She introduced me to her friends and we searched for the very elusive jacket for them. Again, weaving myself into the booth... unfortunately they were too late. We then walked to Dapitan because Girlie was hungry, lo & behold a store there sold jackets :) Girlie was more than happy to purchase one. After, the jacket acquisition & snack we went back inside & took pictures. Of course, this event is too important to forget the ever reliable camera. 

It was time for the unveiling of the QuattroMondial, a 10-meter high monument rendered by internationally-acclaimed sculptor Ramon Orlina, also a Thomasian. We met Vida & Edz at this time. Since Girlie & her friends took pictures already we opted to divide the group first to take pictures. Vida, Edz & I wasted no time & took every shot possible. We even posed in front & behind different landmarks & decorations. 
While roaming around, we even saw our former professor & had a picture taken with him. That was fun. We headed to the AB building after tiring our mouths from too much smiling ;) We entered the building... woohoo.. timewarp! hehehe ;) The AB shirt for that year looked great definitely a step up from the AB shirts of our year. Of course we ordered shirts ;)

We met Girlie after this, she was seated on the ground in front of  the big screen in the main bldg. We watched performers while waiting for the official countdown & grandest fireworks ever. 

Being in the campus that time made me so proud to be a Thomasian! ;)
As my shirt says, "Trivia: In Espana Tigers live up to 400 years & beyond!"

PS. I know you would want to see the grandest fireworks ever, so here they are... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment